TheSan Francisco 49erswill be without a key piece of their offensive attack for an extended period.
NFL Network’s Tom Pelissero, however, reports Juszczyk will seek a second opinion on his knee, and there is some hope that Juszczyk can be back on the field ahead of schedule.
Any time missed by Juszczyk is a blow for San Francisco — and particularly coach Kyle Shanahan’s vaunted rushing attack.
Juszczyk’s athleticism and skill as a blocker — he’s one of the few fullbacks still utilized in today’s NFL — was on full display Monday night up until he exited the game in the second half. The Niners gutted theBrownsfor 185 rushing yards in the first half behind chunk gains byMatt BreidaandTevin Coleman, who often ran through gaping holes created in part from Juszcyzk’s blocks.
In addition to his role in the run game, Juszczyk has six catches for 76 yards this season.
Here’s other NFL news we’re tracking Tuesday:
1.Kansas City Chiefsnose tackleXavier Williamsis a candidate for injured reserve following a bad high ankle sprain suffered in Sunday night’s loss to theColts, per Pelissero, who added that injuries of that nature typically carry timelines of 4 to 6 weeks.
Williams’ prognosis continues the bad injury week along Kansas City’s defensive front asChris Jonesis week-to-week with a groin injury.
In light of Williams’ and Jones’ injuries, Pelissero reported that theChiefsare signing veteran defensive tackleTerrell McClain. The nine-year vet last played regular-season snaps with theFalconsin 2018.
2.Dallas Cowboysowner Jerry Jones expressed optimism that left tackleTyron Smithcould be back on the field this weekend against theJets. Speaking on 105.3 The Fan, Jones said Smith’s injured ankle looks “promising” for Week 6, but they’ll see how the week progresses,per the team’s official site.
Jones also said that he is not ready to rule out offensive linemanLa’el Collins(knee) for this Sunday.
3.Pittsburgh Steelersrunning backJaylen Samuelsis expected to miss about a month after undergoing a knee scope, Mike Tomlin told reporters. Samuels has 133 yards from scrimmage with one TD in backup duty this season.
6. TheAtlanta Falconsannounced they have promoted offensive linemanJohn Wetzeland cornerbackD.J. Whiteto the active roster. They also placed defensive backJohnathan Cyprien, whom they traded with theEaglesfor last week, on injured reserve.
7.Oakland Raidersdefensive endArden Keyis expected to miss a couple weeks with a strained patellar tendon, Rapoport reported, per a source. Key suffered the injury in Week 5’s win against theBearsin London. Rapopot added that Oakland is working out edge players today.
Oakland also waived receiverMarcell Ateman.
8. In light ofDeVante Bausby‘s injury, theDenver Broncosare signing veteranCoty Sensabaugh, Pelissero reported, per a source. Sensabaugh last played for theSteelersin 2018, when he started 10 of 15 games played.
9. Tennessee added offensive linemenDaniel MunyerandDavid Quessenberryto the practice squad and waived centerHronnis Grasufrom the active roster and receiverPapi Whitefrom the practice squad.
10. TheTampa Bay Buccaneersworked out former LSU track starCyril Graysonas a punt returner, Rapoport reported.
11. TheDetroit Lionsworked out free-agent receiverQuincy Adeboyejo, Rapoport reported.