Benwikere, who was selected by thePanthersin the fifth round in 2014, is expected to have the chance to contribute with second-year cornersMike Hughes(ACL) andHolton Hill(suspension) out of the lineup for the foreseeable future.
TheVikingsare still expected to haveXavier RhodesandTrae Waynesline up across from opposing receivers once the season kicks off but, outside of those two andMackensie Alexander, who played in 15 games for the Vikes in 2018, there isn’t much depth to speak of.
Benwikere, 27, appeared in 15 combined games last season (11 with theCardinals, 4 with the Raiders) and contributed 54 tackles, four pass deflections and an interception. The San Jose State product played three seasons in Carolina to begin his career before a one-year run with theCowboys.
Here’s other NFL news we’re monitoring Saturday:
1. According to NFL Network’s Stacy Dales,Indianapolis ColtsquarterbackAndrew Luck(calf) missed his fourth straight practice as he continues to heal.
Following Saturday’s practice,Coltscoach Frank Reich confirmed Luck’s absence and said it will continue and the QB is slated to miss the next three days of practices.
TheColtsalso announced the signing of tight endZach Conqueand, in a corresponding move, the team waived-injured TEBilly Brown.
On Friday, theColtsplaced running backSpencer Wareon the active/physically unable to perform list. On Saturday, Rapoport reports Ware is having ankle surgery, which has a recovery period of five-six weeks, and with an injury settlement the back could play again this season for someone and he plans on doing so.
2.Philadelphia Eaglesstarting linebackerKamu Grugier-Hillleft Saturday’s practice with a knee injury and NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo reports he suffered a Grade 3 MCL sprain, according to sources. Garafolo said Grugier-Hill is likely to miss some time in the regular season, but should be back relatively early.
It’s a tough blow for the emerging Grugier-Hill, who had 10 starts in 2018, his third season, and 45 tackles.
3.New Orleans Saintsrunning backLatavius Murray(undisclosed reason) is back on the field after missing four straight days of practice, according toHerbie Teope of The New Orleans Advocate. Murray is in his first year in New Orleans after playing with theRaidersfor his first three years and theVikingsfor his last two.
4.CowboysguardZack Martin, who had an MRI on his back, isbelieved to have suffered just a minor ailment, NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport reported, per a source. The team feels good about his status but will continue to monitor it, Rapoport added.
According to USA Today reporter Luke Johnson, coach Sean Payton announced that the team signed RBJacquizz Rodgersand waived RBRob Kelley.
6.Miami DolphinssafetyReshad Jones(right foot) sported a walking boot and was held out out of practice,according to ESPN’s Cameron Wolfe. Jones, 31, has made two Pro Bowls (2015, 2017) during his nine-year career.
7. TheChicago Bearswaived/injured defensive backJosh Simmonsand sign receiverJoe Walker.
8. NFL Network reporter Tom Pelissero reported that theSan Francisco 49ersare signing receiverChris Thompson. An undrafted prospect out of Florida in 2017, Thompson played a season with theTexansbefore being waived in August 2018. He also had a brief stint with the AAF’s Orlando Apollos.
9. TheWashington Redskinshave activated linebackerJordan Brailfordfrom the PUP list.
10. TheOakland Raidersannounced the addition of running backMack Brown. Brown, 27, went undrafted out of Florida in 2015 and went onto sign with theRedskinsin July 2015. He played in Washington for two seasons before being waived three games into his third season with the team. TheVikingsclaimed him off waivers in October 2017 and he appeared in one game that season before eventually being released in September 2018.
11. TheCleveland Brownsannounced the signing of defensive tackleTracy Sprinkleand also waived CBJermaine Ponder.