Jerry Jones admitted Tuesday that it’s “unlikely” left tackleTyron Smithwill play this week against theGreen Bay Packers, but theDallas Cowboysowner likes the rest of what he heard regarding Smith’s ankle injury.
“We got the best news we could possibly get,” Jones said on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas,via Jon Machota of The Athletic. “We couldn’t have asked for better news. Looking forward to having him back out there quick.”
Jones’ comments mesh with NFL Network Insider Ian Rapoport’s report Monday that Smith might only miss one week with the ankle injury.
Smith was injured late in the fourth quarter Sunday night against theNew Orleans Saintswhen quarterbackDak Prescottwas sacked and fell onto the left tackle’s leg. Backup tackleCameron Flemingreplaced Smith for the rest of the game.
Here’s other NFL news we’re monitoring Tuesday:
1. TheNew York Giantsnow officially have wide receiverGolden Tateback on their roster, as the team announced Tuesday it had activated Tate and added him to the 53-man roster.
Also on Tuesday, theGiantsannounced the promotion of linebackerJosiah Tauaefafrom the practice squad and released receiversBennie FowlerandTJ Jones.
2.Pittsburgh Steelerscoach Mike Tomlin told reporters that running backJames Conner(ankle) and defensive linemanCam Heyward(quad) will be limited some during practice this week. Both players suffered the injuries during Monday’s win over theBengalsbut were able to finish the game.
Defensive linemanVince Williams(hamstring), tight endVance McDonald(shoulder) and linebackerAnthony Chickillo(foot) have a chance to play this week against theRavens.
3. TheDetroit Lionsare working out wide receiverMaurice Harris, per NFL Network’s Mike Garafolo. Harris, who was waived by thePatriotswith an injury settlement after he hurt his foot in training camp, was recently cleared to play, per Garafolo.
4. TheTennessee Titansare working out free agent wide receiverQuincy Adeboyejo, per Rapoport.
6. TheCincinnati Bengalsgranted a roster exemption to guardAlex Redmondfollowing a four-game suspension, the team announced Tuesday. The team has an exemption until Monday and can activate him at any point during that time.
7. TheLos Angeles Chargerspromoted tight endStephen Andersonto the active roster, the team announced on Tuesday, and in a corresponding move placed tight endSean Culkin on injured reserve. The team also announced the signings of defensive endJeff Holland, defensive backQuenton Meeksand tight endMatt Sokolto the practice squad.
8. TheBaltimore Ravenswaived outside linebackerTim Williamson Tuesday, the team announced. Williams was a situational pass rusher who had just two tackles in four games.
9. TheArizona Cardinalsre-signed kick returnerPharoh Cooper, who was a return specialist in 2017 with theRams. Cooper previously played part of the 2018 season with theCardinals. He was with theBengalsto start the current season, but was cut on Sept. 18. Arizona also released defensive linemanMiles Brownand re-signedDarrell Danielsto the practice squad.
10. TheWashington Redskinsreleased receiverRobert Davisfrom the active roster and cornerbackAdonis Alexanderfrom the practice squad.